The German Evangelical Reformed Church
This database contains an index of Brides and Grooms covering the years 1852-1864. It is a work in progress and more years will be added as the work is completed.
The original records are presently located
To arrange for copies of the original records contact:
Ms. Joan Koster-Morales
There is a $10 copy charge for these records.
The First Reformed German Church was organized in 1853 by the Rev. John Frederick Busche. The church was located at 97 & 99 Suffolk Street between Delancey and Rivington Streets in Manhattan. He was the first pastor and served the church for forty-seven years, until just one week before his death on July 10, 1893.
The Rev. Busche was born August 5, 1817 at Meinsdorf, Province of Brandenburg, Prussia. When he was 18 he entered the University of Berlin in Germany. His first assignment was in London, England and after one year he was sent to Liverpool as a missionary to the Germans of that city. In 1844 he came to New York City where he did missionary work for another 2 years. In 1846 he was licensed and ordained in Philadelphia and in that same year became the pastor of the Forsyth Street Church in New York City which at the time was an independent church. Also in 1846 he was commissioned by the Synod of the United States to organize the New York Classis. Dr. Busche married Miss Anne Kerr in February 1850 and they had two sons and three daughters. Mrs. Busche died in August 1884 and their 5 children survived Rev. Bushe upon his death in 1893. Rev. Busche is buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn.
From 1893 until 1905 the Rev. E. G. Fuessle was pastor and in the year 1900 the name of the church was changed to St. Paul's Evangelical Reformed Church at which time it was located on 141st Street in the Bronx.
The index is a work in progress and has been contributed by Joan Koster-Morales, Professional Genealogist, specializing in New York City German Americans.
To Search German Evangelical Reformed Church Index
problems with this site