Go to Cemetery Records
Go Back to Main Database Index
Church in Elmont
525 Elmont Road,
P.O. Box 466
Elmont, New York
This database contains an index of
names of known persons interred in the church cemetery transcribed
from the monuments.
Unfortunately, some markers have
been destroyed or toppled. The church has no further information on
those interred, however, we would appreciate updated information
regarding missing names especially for those sites for which there
is no information. This continues to be an active cemetery.
The church was first built in 1864,
burned (which may explain the loss of records) and rebuilt in 1902
(dates on cornerstone). This was a German church attended by many
farmers from Jamaica.
There are photos
of each marker/site which will be sent via email upon request.
The cemetery survey, transcriptions
and photos were accomplished by
Adams and Ms.
They have been kind enough to allow their index to be placed on the
German Genealogy Group website in an effort to aid all genealogists.
We appreciate their work and effort.
(Taken from the 80th Anniversary Booklet of 1944)
Over eighty years ago a
group of preachers from East New York carried on religious services at
various points on Fosterís Meadow Road (now Elmont Road), and from the
efforts of those men the Presbyterian Church in Elmont sprang.
On March 28, 1864, the
Cornerstone of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church was laid, and
dedication of the church followed on December 26th of the same year. Later
the church became affiliated with the Nassau Presbytery (now Brooklyn-Nassau Presbytery) and was known as the St. Paulís German
Presbyterian Church. At that time the pulpit was supplied by students of
Bloomfield Seminary, Bloomfield, NJ. The congregation was German speaking
and all services were conducted in the German tongue. However, during the
pastorate of the Rev. Augustus C. Espach (1903-1938) there was a marked
change taking place in the character of the parish. German yielded to
English, first to the extent of one English service a month, later two, and
then three services a month were conducted in English. Since the coming of
the present pastor the transition from German to English has been completed.
In the early years of his
pastorate, the Rev. Augustus C. Espach conducted afternoon services in New
Hyde Park and Rosedale, and though his endeavors coupled with those of the
Willing Workers League of Rosedale, a thriving church was established in
that community. At about the same time (October 1903) the other daughter
church in New Hyde Park, now the New Hyde Park Presbyterian church, was
established by our church.
Prior to the ministry of
the Rev. Augustus C. Espach, St. Paulís was served by Rev. Remi J.
Buttinghausen, who began his ministry of this congregation in 1894.
The earlier pastors were
Pastor Schmall, who came in 1870, and built the first church parsonage. In
the spring of 1878 Pastor Wanderer was installed; in 1888 he was succeeded
by Pastor J. P. H. Schweitzer, now ministering to the congregation of the
Corinthian Church in Philadelphia.
Thus looking back over
eight decades we review our achievements and those whom God called to make
such achievements possible. Now, we turn our faces toward the future,
confident that in a changing neighborhood and an even more rapidly hanging
worked we may find ever-widening fields of service as new and more
challenging need arises.