- About Database (Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum)
- Search Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum Database
- Credits & Thanks...
Index to the records of the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum
This database is an index to almost 4,000 people mentioned in records in the collection of the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum. These records comprise a very wide variety of record types, including whaling ship crew lists, whaling ship captains, owners and investors, letters, accounts with local merchants, deeds, obituaries, articles, poems and genealogies. Many of these records are original documents, while others appear to be transcripts or copies of letters.
The index includes the name of a person or a company, the year of the record, the type of record, the name of the collection, the folder title containing it, and its file drawer number. When contacting the museum be sure to provide all of the information in your search results.
To find out what information may be available, and how to obtain it, contact:
The Whaling Museum & Education Center of Cold Spring Harbor
279 Main Street
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
Phone: (631) 367-3418
Records Search: Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum
Please note that the Surname (e.g. Last Name) is a required entry field. But since exact spellings are not always known, to aid your search we offer three different ways to specify Surnames...
- Exact Match ("is exactly") - This is the default surname search method.
- Soundex ("sounds like") - This option enables you to specify a surname spelling it out as best you can, and it will return results that "sound" similar to what you spelled out.
- Wild Card - With this option you can replace part of the surname with a * to match any number of letters, or _ to match a single letter. E.g., Sch* will return all names starting with Sch. Similarly, Schl_tz might return results such as Schlitz or Schlotz.
For whichever of the above surname search options you would like to use, simply select the appropriate radio button option below the input field on the form. Although the additional form fields are optional, providing as much information as you can helps narrow your search. The more specific your search, the less time you need spend scrolling through search results!