* Begin Your Genealogy Quest (familysearch.org)
Are You New to Genealogy?
Welcome to the fascinating world of family history research! You can learn more about you, your ancestors, and why you are the person you are today. Here is a list of articles from my newsletter that I think are the most useful resources for anyone who is learning how to find their ancestors:
* A Genealogy Intro
* Family History for Beginners
* Genealogy Basics
* Are You a Family Historian or a Name Collector?
* Online Genealogy Dictionaries & Other References
* Family History Guide
* Free Genealogy Software
* The Genealogy Library Inside Your Computer: How to Increase Your Personal Genealogy Library without Additional Bookshelves
* Who Owns Your Genealogy Data?
* GEDCOM Explained
* Ahnentafel Explained
* Second Cousins,” “Once Removed”, and More Explained
* Barking Up the Wrong Tree
* Citing Sources
* Using WorldCat to Find Genealogy Books
* Beginners Guide To Genetic Genealogy (in 16 lessons) by Kelly Wheaton
In addition, you need to become familiar with Cyndi's List at https://www.cyndislist.com. Cyndi's List has been a trusted genealogy research site for more than 18 years. Cyndi's List is free for everyone to use and it is meant to be your starting point when researching online.
What exactly is Cyndi's List?
A categorized & cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet.
A list of links that point you to genealogical research sites online.
A free jumping-off point for you to use in your online research.
A "card catalog" to the genealogical collection in the immense library that is the Internet.
We recommend checking out some of the software reviews, and checking the software sites to see what program features
interest you. Software developers often offer trial versions for you to try out.
Popular Genealogy Software:
* RootsMagic [for Windows]
* Legacy Family Tree [for Windows]
* Family Treemaker [for Mac and Windows]
* Reunion [for Mac]
You can create a family tree on line for free at familysearch.org
* Ancestry.com (subscription)
* FamilySearch.org - (free)
* Fultonhistory.com (free) 41 million pages of newspapers
* FultonSearch.org (free) Search fultonhistory.com more easily
* Association of Professional Genealogists (Directory of Professional Genealogists)
* Board for Certification of Genealogists (Directory of Certified Professional Genealogists - Advanced Search)
Long Island Genealogy Groups
* Genealogy.net - German research aids
* Extensive database from the Rheinland-Pfalz town of Birkenhördt, and links to many other places in Germany.
* Germany in NYC
* Online Ortsfamilienbücher - Online family heritage books
Other New York/New Jersey Sites
* Albany County, New York Naturalization Index 1821-1991
* Atlantic County, NJ searchable Naturalization Database (Images of Declaration of Intent)
* Brooklyn Genealogy Info with links to all borough information pages
* Cedar Grove Cemetery , Flushing, NY; Interment Search
* County Office.org; a database of county government offices in the United States
* Fosters Meadow Heritage Center, Long Island German Farming Community
* Louisville [Kentucky] Anzeiger Death Listings 1849—1865
* Mount Lebanon Cemetery , Glendale, NY; Interment Search
* New Jersey Archives Searchable databases
* Ontario County New York Naturalization Index 1808-1956
* Roclkand County New York Naturalization Index 1812-1991
* Spring Valley New York Marriage Record Index Index 1865-1935
* Warren County New York Naturalization Petition Index 1907-1955
* Westchester County, New York Archives (Naturalization, Marriage, Surrogates indexes)