- About Database (NARA Enlisted Navy 1864-65)
- Search NARA Enlisted Navy 1864-65 Database
- Credits & Thanks...
Certificates and Related Records of Men Enlisted in the Navy, 1864 - 1865
NARA Record Group 110. Records of the Provost Marshal General's Bureau (Civil War)
https://catalog.archives.gov/id/2990430 Inventory Entry Number: 1483
The entries include name, enlistment type, town, enlistment length, bounty, status, age, occupation, birthplace, substituted for name, draft status and comments.
To find out what information may be available, and how to obtain it, contact:
National Archives at New York
One Bowling Green, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004
Records Search: NARA Enlisted Navy 1864-65
Please note that the Surname (e.g. Last Name) is a required entry field. But since exact spellings are not always known, to aid your search we offer three different ways to specify Surnames...
- Exact Match ("is exactly") - This is the default surname search method.
- Soundex ("sounds like") - This option enables you to specify a surname spelling it out as best you can, and it will return results that "sound" similar to what you spelled out.
- Wild Card - With this option you can replace part of the surname with a * to match any number of letters, or _ to match a single letter. E.g., Sch* will return all names starting with Sch. Similarly, Schl_tz might return results such as Schlitz or Schlotz.
NOTE: The wild card option applies ONLY to the surname. You can just enter the fist few letters of a First Name; the search automatically adds a wild card to the end of the First Name.
For whichever of the above surname search options you would like to use, simply select the appropriate radio button option below the input field on the form. Although the additional form fields are optional, providing as much information as you can helps narrow your search. The more specific your search, the less time you need spend scrolling through search results!