- About Database (Brooklyn Navy Yard Burials)
- Search Brooklyn Navy Yard Burials Database
- Credits & Thanks...
Brooklyn Naval Hospital
Register of Deaths and of Burial Plots
1831 to 1894
This database contains the complete transcription of the information in the Death Register for the period 1831 to 1894. The Register includes the person’s name, age, rank, date of decease, where died, where buried and miscellaneous remarks. The Register is located at the New York City office of the National Archives and Records Administration, but it contains no additional information from that shown in this database
The following sign is located at the cemetery:
“This enclosed area is a preserved part of the original
Brooklyn Naval Hospital Cemetery
The Brooklyn Naval Hospital Cemetery was established in 1831 and closed in 1910. It is estimated that more that 2,000 military service members of all races and creeds and their dependents were buried here. In 1926, the Navy disinterred remains from the cemetery and reinterred them at Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn. During field investigations in 1997, additional remains were discovered and preserved in this location. The site is dedicated as a memorial to all those buried here and to all military veterans who bravely served their country.“
The phone number for Cypress Hill National Cemetery information is 631-454-4949.
Records Search: Brooklyn Navy Yard Burials
Please note that the Surname (e.g. Last Name) is a required entry field. But since exact spellings are not always known, to aid your search we offer three different ways to specify Surnames...
- Exact Match ("is exactly") - This is the default surname search method.
- Soundex ("sounds like") - This option enables you to specify a surname spelling it out as best you can, and it will return results that "sound" similar to what you spelled out.
- Wild Card - With this option you can replace part of the surname with a * to match any number of letters, or _ to match a single letter. So for example, Sch* will return all names starting with Sch. Similarly, Schl_tz might return results such as Schlitz or Schlotz.
NOTE: The wild card option applies ONLY to the surname. You can just enter the fist few letters of a First Name; the search automatically adds a wild card to the end of the First Name.
For whichever of the above surname search options you would like to use, simply select the appropriate radio button option below the input field on the form. Although the additional form fields are optional, providing as much information as you can helps narrow your search. The more specific your search, the less time you need spend scrolling through search results!