- About Database (Suffolk County Civil War Draft Records)
- Search Suffolk County Civil War Draft Records Database
- Credits & Thanks...
Index of Civil War Draft records at the Richard H. Handley Collection of Long Island Americana (Long Island Room), The Smithtown Library, Smithtown, New York
This database is an index to more than 6,500 Civil War draft records for the nine towns of Suffolk County, New York. The records are contained in separate registers for each of the towns.
The index includes the name of a person, his age, occupation, and some records have an added comment. There is also an indication if the person is exempt from the draft. In these cases there may be additional information available.
Note that much of the writing in these ledgers is faint and somewhat difficult to read, so that there may be spelling errors in the index.
When contacting the Long Island Room be sure to provide all of the information in your search results.
The register for the Town of Southold also gives an indication of the person's residence using coded abbreviations:
East Marion: EM
Fishers Island: FI
To find out what information may be available, and how to obtain it, contact:
Richard H. Handley Collection of Long Island Americana (Long Island Room)
The Smithtown Library
One North Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
Phone: (631) 360-2480, Ext. 197
Records Search: Suffolk County Civil War Draft Records
Please note that the Last Name is a required entry field. But since exact spellings are not always known, to aid your search we offer three different ways to specify Surnames...
- Exact Match ("is exactly") - This is the default surname search method.
- Soundex ("sounds like") - This option enables you to specify a surname spelling it out as best you can, and it will return results that "sound" similar to what you spelled out.
- Wild Card - With this option you can replace part of the surname with a * to match any number of letters, or _ to match a single letter. E.g., Sch* will return all names starting with Sch. Similarly, Schl_tz might return results such as Schlitz or Schlotz.
For whichever of the above surname search options you would like to use, simply select the appropriate radio button option below the input field on the form. Although the additional form fields are optional, providing as much information as you can helps narrow your search. The more specific your search, the less time you need spend scrolling through search results!