- About Database (SDNY Admiralty Titanic Claims)
- Search SDNY Admiralty Titanic Claims Database
- Credits & Thanks...
Southern District of New York Admiralty Titanic Case File
In the Matter of the Petition of the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company, Limited, for Limitation of its Liability as owner of the steamship TITANIC https://catalog.archives.gov/id/278328
NARA Record Group 21: Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685 - 2009
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. 1814-
Series: Admiralty Case Files, 1790 - 1966
Scope and Content: This case was initiated to limit the liability of the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company, Ltd., for loss of life and property resulting from the sinking of the Titanic on its maiden voyage. The case file contains court papers, evidence, and claims of survivors and representatives of the deceased.
The index entries include name, claim and miscellaneous. The claim categories are loss of life, loss of property, injury and property, and life and property.
To find out what information may be available, and how to obtain it, contact:
National Archives at New York
One Bowling Green, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004
Records Search: SDNY Admiralty Titanic Claims
Please note that the Surname (e.g. Last Name) is a required entry field. But since exact spellings are not always known, to aid your search we offer three different ways to specify Surnames...
- Exact Match ("is exactly") - This is the default surname search method.
- Soundex ("sounds like") - This option enables you to specify a surname spelling it out as best you can, and it will return results that "sound" similar to what you spelled out.
- Wild Card - With this option you can replace part of the surname with a * to match any number of letters, or _ to match a single letter. E.g., Sch* will return all names starting with Sch. Similarly, Schl_tz might return results such as Schlitz or Schlotz.
NOTE: The wild card option applies ONLY to the surname. You can just enter the first few letters of a First Name; the search automatically adds a wild card to the end of the First Name.
For whichever of the above surname search options you would like to use, simply select the appropriate radio button option below the input field on the form. Although the additional form fields are optional, providing as much information as you can helps narrow your search. The more specific your search, the less time you need spend scrolling through search results!