- About Database (Seaman's Register of Deaths)
- Search Seaman's Register of Deaths Database
- Credits & Thanks...
Seaman's Fund and Retreat, Register of Deaths, Oct. 21, 1831 - Feb. 26, 1874
This database is an index to a register of deaths recorded at the Seaman's Fund and Retreat and its successor, the Marine Hospital, on Staten Island, New York. It gives the date of death, the cause of death, age, birthplace, and comments. There is no additional information in the register.
These records can be viewed onsite, by appointment, and scans can be requested for a fee. When contacting the National Archives, please provide the Name, Date and Page Number.
To make an appointment to view these records or to obtain reproductions please contact:
National Archives at New York
One Bowling Green, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10004
Records Search: Seaman's Register of Deaths
Please note that the Surname (e.g. Last Name) is a required entry field. But since exact spellings are not always known, to aid your search we offer three different ways to specify Surnames...
- Exact Match ("is exactly") - This is the default surname search method.
- Soundex ("sounds like") - This option enables you to specify a surname spelling it out as best you can, and it will return results that "sound" similar to what you spelled out.
- Wild Card - With this option you can replace part of the surname with a * to match any number of letters, or _ to match a single letter. So for example, Sch* will return all names starting with Sch. Similarly, Schl_tz might return results such as Schlitz or Schlotz.
NOTE: The wild card option applies ONLY to the surname. You can just enter the fist few letters of a First Name; the search automatically adds a wild card to the end of the First Name.
For whichever of the above surname search options you would like to use, simply select the appropriate radio button option below the input field on the form. Although the additional form fields are optional, providing as much information as you can helps narrow your search. The more specific your search, the less time you need spend scrolling through search results!This database includes all of the information that exists on these records. But see the "About Database" page for instructions regarding viewing or ordering any record of interest.